Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Chapter 1- Zinn

After reading the first chapter, I was shocked. All in elementary school I was taught that Columbus was a hero. In some ways he was, but in my opinion he was more of a villain. Not only did he kill hundreds of thousands of Native Americans, he worked them to death first. To me, because the Natives were there first and it was their home, they should have been the ones treated with respect. And on top of that, him and his men even worked women and children to a pulp. They worked the women so hard that they couldn’t even produce milk for their babies so over 7,000 babies died in three years. That is just disgusting to me. 

1 comment:

  1. Remember that Columbus felt that he had a right to do what he did. He also had backers that he needed to pay.

    ReplyDelete